My 4-2 release was a big one. I decided to work on the linting bugs along with 12 peers on Mozilla Firefox code. I was reading through how to set up my working environment from the list of instructions I received and from what I found on the developer guide. I found both of these a little confusing to read. I am so thankful to my peer who posted a simplistic version of the steps I had to follow on Slack.
After setting up my working environment ( 4 hours of cloning ) and eslinting –fix the 3 directories I was working on I was left with a total of 204 errors.
This seemed like a lot so I started by tackling the directory with the smallest number of errors. A lot of them were repetitive so I was able to fix a lot of errors with one or two manual fixes.
There were a few errors I was unsure of how to fix some so I decided to check the Slack channel our professor had set up. Luckily there were some people that had similar problems and I was able to follow their rules.
I read a peer’s blog to help me with this error and this saved me a lot of time of researching myself.
I got it down to errors 12 – 13 errors in total which I found were tougher and required more thought. After a few hours of researching I was able to solve most of them.
It was such an incredible feeling seeing this after a week of working on this project.
(Note: Using a friends laptop, thus the username difference)
Although there were some issues I was unsure about, I look forward to hearing feedback on any fixes I need again . I thought the most complicated aspect of this project would be fixing the errors and not trying to commit my code. I found setting up Phabricator, (like many of my peers) tedious and difficult, but I understand it is a necessary evil. Atleast if I plan on working on this code in the future I know the steps to take for next time!