Hacktoberfest Issue 2

As I mentioned on my previous post, I  started to work on the Rust project. I started to set it up locally and ran into issues which I googled for ways to solve them. When I was able to locate a specific reason for my error,  I posted on the issue of the problems I was facing and the owner of the project along with another git hub member suggested ways to solve the issue.


I was still struggling to make the code run locally  after using  the advice given to me so I decided to to do some more research. I had spend about a day and a half  going though Stack Overflow and other forums before I gave up and put the issue aside to focus on other assignments.

Fast forward a few weeks later, I decided to take a gander at this issue again. I looked at it and realized I was no longer interested in this topic. I started browsing Hacktoberfest issues and found one that peeked my interest very quickly. The week before I had spent my entire week doing a Data Structures and Algorithms assignment and studying for a midterm in that course. It consisted of linked lists, stacks and queues, and so forth. This new issue that I had found was to reverse a String using stacks! I thought that this was an awesome way to implement something I just spend a week studying and learning.

I was the first to comment on this issue and began working in it right away. It took me a couple of hours to finish and commit. As I was making a pull request, I realized someone had finished the task 5 minutes before I committed and the owner  of this project merged the other persons work ahead of mine. I think that was a pretty shitty thing to do, but nevertheless I created a pull request for my work. I am not sure it will get merged, but I am still happy to have finished this task.


For me this issue was a personal accomplishment as I was struggling with this exact topic a week ago. I had a hard time grasping the topic and went through many tutorials and examples to understand how to code stacks. So when I saw this issue I took it as an opportunity to implement my class work into an open source project. The reverse function I wrote is shown below.




I wonder what week 3 will have in store for me!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s